Delivering a training or holding a presentation is not all about the content but also on how you conduct yourself and how you dress for the part. Finding the perfect balance between looking professional and also relating adequately to the audience may prove difficult in some situation. Here you can find some tips and tricks to follow in choosing your clothing for running your training plan.
We will start with the Six S’s of dressing to work in your favor.
It is recommended to wear long sleeves because they inspire authority and respect, therefore the audience will pay more attention to what you are saying. Just stop thinking how you would react to a speaker wearing short sleeves opposed to long ones. You may observe the difference in perception.
Study the room where you will be holding the training or call the location and find out the colors of the room, the decorations and atmosphere in order not to blend in. For example, if the walls are blue do not dress in blue.
This point refers to women and their attention to the length of their skirts. If you will be presenting on a stage, your skirt will appear much shorter, therefore choose a mid-knee skirt, no matter how tall or short you are.
Make sure your shoes are neat and clean before you begin your training. The color of the shoes should be one note darker than your pants/skirt or the attention of the audience will be distracted by the lighter shoes.
Do not hesitate to call on a tailor to adjust your clothing to your body measures. Everyone is unique in structure and should fit their clothes according to it. Otherwise the audience will observe if your pants or sleeves are longer or shorter than needed.
6. Silk ties
Choose 100% silk ties but be sure you buy it in your size. The tip of your tie should hit the middle of your belt buckle.
Tips for men:
· Wear clean and ironed clothes
· Keep your pockets empty
· Avoid bright colors as red, purple or green
· Unbutton just one or two buttons in order not to show your chest
· Recommended to wear a tie
· Don't wear too many rings or jewelry
· Don't wear sandals
Tips for women:
· Avoid wearing anything too tight, too short or showing too much skin
· You may wear pleasant colors but avoid neon ones
· If you are having seconds thoughts about it, don't wear it
· Wear traditional fabrics and stay away from satin, velvet or leather
· Wear small and decent accessories that don't distract the attention of the audience
How do you usually dress when delivering a training?